Head of Special Projects
There could be many titles for this role, but none quite capture the uniqueness of this opportunity to work alongside Brent Hoberman. Brent is a serial entrepreneur who co-founded lastminute.com, Smartup, Grip, mydeco.com, PROfounders, made.com, Founders Forum, Founders Factory, and is now launching firstminute capital. Brent is looking for a dynamic, self starter as his Head of Special Projects. The perfect candidate is a tenacious, detail-oriented problem solver who likes to get their hands dirty by tackling any project at speed, and igniting a fresh perspective on new opportunities.
- Co-founded lastminute.com;
- Co-founded Made.com, stepped down as Chairman, remains on the Board;
- Last September Wired listed him as #40 of their global influencers (and #2 in the UK; see here, just ahead of Brian Chesky and Jack Dorsey).
- Similarly, FT listed him as one of London's Top 30 most influential people here.
- Currently sits on the advisory board of LetterOne Technology ($16bn technology fund) and the board of The Economist, as well as the UK Government's Digital Advisory Board.
- Since has co-founded Founders Forum group (see below). Off of the back of this, now launching firstminute capital, a $80m early stage fund anchored by Atomico.
- Has also co-founded a European seed fund before and has been a serial tech angel investor
As our Head of Special Projects, you will be responsible for driving complex initiatives across our organization. In this role, your primary purpose will be to provide leverage and create capacity for our Executive Chairman so he can focus on our business’s most important and impactful initiatives. You’ll be exposed to a broad scope of responsibilities including owning special projects, researching and running with new initiatives, keeping important external stakeholders and influencers engaged with the business, and liaising with key internal business units.
- Effectively engage with and support cross-functional initiatives with key stakeholders across the entire organization and external investors and entrepreneurs
- Prepare agenda for board with reports and other communications, including leadership team
- Proactively identify opportunities to add value, solve problems and address the needs of the business and office of the CEO, then propose and deliver tangible solutions
- Stay on top of ever-changing priorities and projects as assigned by Brent
- Ensure project-based tasks and assignments are completed effectively on time
- Assist with measurement and tracking of corporate priorities
- Market and competitor research for new business initiatives
- Capture meeting notes for distribution, planning and action items
You should be seriously organised with a keen eye for detail, proactive and autonomous; we’re not the kind of office where someone will be telling you what to do every two minutes, so you need to be able to manage your own workload and motivate yourself. You will need strong judgement skills leading to effective decision making.
- To work with us you’ll need a positive attitude and a real hunger to learn, we’re an ambitious group of unshakeable optimists and expect the same from you.
- You must have sharp interpersonal skills with a high degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to prioritise and navigate through complex situations
- The sheer ability to push through obstacles with a high level of sophistication and drive progress and the aptitude for strategic planning
- Impeccable judgement and discretion who is capable of wearing many hats
- Ability to discretely and professionally handle confidential and sensitive information
- Poised demeanor when dealing with other executives, academic leaders and board members